1940

During the second world war, the village of newton Bergoland was affected badly by German bombings which took place in neighboring villages such as Osbaston, Measham and Heather. During 1940 the evacuees were escorted to Newton Bergoland from Birmingham, Coventry and London to escape these bombings. It was during this time that The Belper Arms was a popular retreat for the local British soldiers that resided in Gopsall Hall Barracks.